Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Going to Meeting

I'm on my way to a staff meeting.

Meetings are the Devil to me.  I fidget, I look at the clock, and I have to monitor my facial expressions as people state the obvious over and over again.  I have to bite my tongue sometimes to keep from screaming something like, "Stop asking questions! You're just prolonging this pointless gathering."  Or, "Do you realize I am living on borrowed time here?  Stop wasting it!"

Nevertheless, to meeting I will go and I will not roll my eyes or sigh loudly in exasperation.  I will smile and be polite and pretend to take notes.  I will not speak unless I am directly spoken to, and I will make my hasty exit as soon as the word "dismissed" is uttered.

Of course, I'll wave goodbye and smile cheerfully as I leave.  I'll tell everyone to have a nice day, and I'll make sure I've checked my mailbox before I leave the building.

Then I'll race to pick up my kid on time, mumbling under my breath the whole way about how all of what I just went through could have been handled in one short memo.

But meetings make people feel important and I'm all about making other people feel better.  Here I go!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome! Please share your own stories and feel free to discuss anything I post!